No European citizen should be put at a disadvantage because of the European Green Deal (EGD). Research shows that transition policies predominantly benefit already privileged citizens and often tend to reproduce social inequalities. Moreover, there is a growing polarization vis-à-vis transition plans.
The BOLSTER project will deliver new scientific evidence on decarbonization transition strategies and how they intersect with various dimensions of inequality, such as gender, race, age and class. It will conceptualize the principle of leaving no one behind by developing participatory governance models and transition guidelines based on climate justice and gender equality.
1 September 2022
31 August 2025
HORIZON-CL5-2021-D2-01-12: Fostering a just transition in Europe
1. Develop empirically supported premises that disclose how marginalized communities are affected by EGD-related policies.
2. Scrutinize and enhance the procedural justice aspect of just transition plans.
3. Increase the social acceptance of transition plans.
4. Conceptualize the principle of leaving no one behind.
5. Foster the replication and transferability of the project’s findings, products and experience.